• Latest News & Updates

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Tain Thistle 0 Brora Wanderers 1

    Brora Wanderers needed just one goal to humble champions Tain Thistle at the Links today. A first half goal from Jon Campbell, who pounced on a short clearance from the goalkeeper before lobbing the Tain custodian from 30 yards was all that separated the sides at half time. It could have been 2-0 but a second half penalty for Wanderers was saved well by Will Macrae, and at the other end a foul on the Brora goalkeeper denied Tain their only netbound effort.

    In the latter stages, the home side were unlucky not to score with a Finn As-Chainey shot that deflected onto the crossbar as the signs were that it was not going to be their day. Thistle’s push for an equaliser was against a Brora side who were defending resolutely, and against Tain’s best efforts the Wanderers held on to claim an impressive away win.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Jags ousted by Staxigoe

    It was to be another first round exit for Tain Thistle in the Highland Amateur Cup, losing 3-1 to Staxigoe United. During an evenly contested first half both keepers were called into action, and on twenty minutes Thistle thought they had broken the deadlock when the ball appeared to have crossed the line – but referee Eric Robertson waved play on.

    The Caithness side eventually opened the scoring with 10 minutes of the half left through Martin Banks but within five minutes Darran Goller had equalised. Capitulation followed in the second period as Staxigoe netted twice in the final twenty minutes to put the game beyond Tain. Staxigoe retook the lead via an unfortunate Paul Cowie own goal and the final goal to make it 3-1 was a second for Banks.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Highlights - Melvich v Tain Thistle

    Match highlights, courtesy of Darren Manson, Picture House.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Melvich 3 Tain Thistle 5

    There were goals aplenty in Melvich in a back and forth affair. Thistle got off to a great start with a goal after just three minutes, when new signing Shaun Kerr headed in from an Arron Christie corner. Kerr made it 2-0 seven minutes before the break with a good finish from six yards out after David Mackay found the striker inside the box with a cross. As the second half began, Melvich pulled a goal back from a corner kick, Kyle Innes beating Stevie Campbell with a headed effort.

    The North Sutherland side must have been taking inspiration from England’s midweek European hopefuls as they proceeded to complete the comeback to make it 2-2 when James Murray nodded home from a corner — and ten minutes later Martyn Cook put the home side ahead with a shot from inside the area to leave Thistle reeling. Were it not for some good goalkeeping from Campbell, the home side could have extended their lead. But Melvich’s resolve was tested just minutes later when Gordy Mackay was able to sweep the ball home to make it 3-3.

    From then on, it was Thistle who showed the metal to retake control when Darran Goller finished from a tight angle to make it 4-3. There was to be no second Melvich comeback this time though, and with five minutes remaining Goller netted again, this time with a header to wrap up the win.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Jags knocked out of Stafford Cup

    In the early kick off at Ferrycroft Park, Lairg Rovers had put three past Thistle after just 20 minutes. Liam Mcleod opened the scoring with a good finish from six yards on the end of a Michael Newlands cross. Michael Newlands doubled their advantage four minutes later when he pounced on a loose ball and rounded the keeper. Newlands netted again on twenty minutes getting on the end of a clearance from Craig Ross, but shorty after, Thistle reduced the deficit with a goal following a penalty award for a foul on Finn As-Chainey; Liam Rostock putting away the resultant spot kick. Lairg remained undettered in their first half assault though, and Adam Mackay added a fourth before the interval, scoring with a neatly hit volley which cannoned in off the post.

    Thistle stemmed the tide in the second half and on 55 minutes, Darran Goller reduced the scoreline to 4-2 after rounding the keeper. The comeback continued as Goller netted again just five minutes later heading home a Cammy Mackintosh cross, leaving just a goal between the sides. The Jags were given further hope when Craig Ross was red carded with half an hour remaining — but there was to be no equaliser as the home side held on to advance to the semi-final.

  • Powered by CuteNews