• Latest News & Updates

  • Tain Thistle 18 Eastern Rose 0

    With the Tain Gala well and truly underway, the Jags and the Bombers provided the midweek football entertainment following the Primary School Soccer Sevens tournament at the Links which saw Tain Juniors emerge victorious.  The Jags capped things off nicely for Tain's football clubs with an entirely one sided win over their Inver visitors.

    Missing for the game were birthday boy Arron Christie and his brother Daniel, along with Chippie Mailley and Dave Murray.  The team lined up with an unorthodox 3-3-4 formation and after taking a good quarter hour to get going, they opened fire relentlessly on the Eastern Rose back line.  

    David MacIver got things going with a cross come shot which curled into the net off the far post.  Mark Lamont struck his first of the night from the penalty spot after a handball on the line prevented Thistle's second and Liam Rostock opened his account a minute later.  MacIver and Lamont added another to their tallies in the next three minutes and Rostock netted his second on 32 minutes.  Lamont completed the hat-trick on 34 mins and Jack Hudson scored three minutes later.  Three quick fire goals made it 11-0 at half time, with Lamont hitting his fourth and fifth and Hudson netting his second.

    Lamont started the second half with a sixth goal and Thistle's 12th and Darran Goller finally got in on the action on 51 minutes. Substitutes were introduced at this point and shortly after Rostock completed his own hat-trick before Goller scored again.  Substitute John Maclellan scored Thistle's 16th marking his return to the side with a goal and Robbie Ross, scoring his first goal in two years, made it 17-0 getting on the end of a Maclellan cross.  Lamont scored the last goal with 8 minutes to go.

    Two records were broken tonight as Thistle recorded their biggest ever win, thrashing last year's record of 15-1 (also against Eastern Rose).  Player wise, John Allan secured his 19th clean sheet in Jags colours, surpassing the previous record held by Steven Martin.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Jags out of Coronation Cup

    Any chance Tain Thistle had of making it three cup finals out of three was put to bed yesterday as they fell to a 1-0 defeat at Munro Park to closest rivals Contin.

    The Jags had avoided defeat in all three of their meetings with Contin, winning both home cup ties, but failing to overcome their opponents on away ground.  Missing for the fourth encounter between the teams were Dave Macgruer, Chippie Mailley, Martyn Farquhar and Ryan Day.

    Contin enjoyed the better of the chances in the first half, while Mark Lamont offered the only significant chance at the other end with a saved effort. An ankle knock for Lamont moments from half time gave Tain cause for concern though but the striker stayed on the pitch. Neither team could break the deadlock by the end of a close first half.

    The goal eventually came ten minutes into the second half when Ryan Dow expertly struck beyond Johnny Allan to give his side the lead.  Dow could very well have doubled the lead ten minutes later but hesitance during a call for offside hindered his attempt as the ball was cleared to safety. 

    Similarly to the last clash at Munro Park, Contin sat in for the majority of the second half, defending deep against a Tain side who were desperate for an equaliser.  Thistle improved when substitute Tony Farquhar was introduced, the experienced striker heading wide with the visitors' best chance.  However, unlike the league meeting two weeks ago, it was too little too late.  Despite a flurry of late corners, time eventually ran out on Daniel Cormack's men as they succumbed to their first defeat of the season.  

    In the other cup tie, Alness United made easy work of Fortrose Union with a 7-1 win.  The final takes place between Contin and Alness next weekend in Dingwall.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Tain Thistle 8 Social Club 1

    The Jags knocked eight past Social Club tonight to move into the top spot in the Ross-shire Welfare, joint on points with Contin.  With a near full squad available for the game, there was also a surprise return for Thistle favourite Martyn Farquhar who took a place on the bench.  Six of the goals arrived in the first half, from six different players, as Darran Goller, Liam Rostock, Alan Duff, Jack Hudson, Dave Macgruer and Mark Lamont all added to their season tallies in the space of a thirty minute scoring spell.  In the second half, Lamont added two further goals late on to secure his hat-trick and go top in the league's Top Scorers chart, while Social Club pulled a goal back via Fraser Sinclair.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Coronation Cup semi draw

    The Jags will travel to Contin in the semi final of the Coronation Cup after the Munro Park men snatched a last minute victory at Seaboard Park against Balintore yesterday.  

    Tain Thistle and Contin have already met three times this season and every encounter has been very close.  The only decisive fixture after 90 minutes was in the Merrythought Cup semi final when Tain narrowly beat their visitors 2-1 at the Links.  In the first round of the Cordiner Cup, Thistle clawed back a 3-3 draw in normal time before winning 5-3 in extra time and in their only league meeting, Tain needed a goal five minutes into injury time to rescue a point.

    The semi final match takes place next Saturday, June 18th with a 3pm kick off in Contin.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Balintore 0 Tain Thistle 5

    The Jags shook off a bad start at Seaboard Park tonight to comfortably beat Balintore in the end and secure a further three points in the league, as they took their unbeaten run this season to twelve games. Chippie Mailley and Alan Duff were posted absent for the trip to Balintore as the teams met for the second time in five days.

    An early penalty shout for Balintore gave Tain cause for concern as Balintore enjoyed the best of the game for the first twenty minutes.  The tide turned on 21 minutes though when Mark Lamont turned the ball into the net from an Arron Christie corner.  Christie himself got on the scoresheet just two minutes later to put Thistle into the driving seat with a sublime left foot effort which sailed over the top of Danny McCarthy into the net.  The Seaboard side's spirit was fully broken on the half hour mark when Cammy Mackintosh lashed the ball into the net from outside the eighteen yard box.  A first half injury to Dave Murray saw the defender withdraw from the game after 33 minutes to be replaced by former Balintore man Adam MacDonald.  Chances were few and far between with Ryan Day narrowly missing with a ball across the face of goal as the half dwindled away.

    The second period started slowly and Thistle's fourth didn't arrive until the 79th minute when Liam Rostock's glancing header beat McCarthy, Tain's all-time marksman getting on the end of an excellent ball in to the box from Daniel Christie.  A fifth followed five minutes later when Jack Hudson burst into the six yard box to beat McCarthy with ease.

    The win keeps Thistle hot on the heels of Contin, three points behind with a game in hand - a game which will be played and evened up with a home match against Invergordon Social Club next Wednesday. This Saturday, the Jags enjoy a welcome weekend off - their first week with only one game since the season has began - thanks to a bye in the first round of the Coronation Cup.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Thistle retain Cordiner Cup

    TAIN Thistle have retained the Bruce Cordiner Cup following a workmanlike performance against Balintore yesterday. On a narrow Inver park, the experience of the Jags overcame a youthful Seaboard eleven largely thanks to a hat-trick and man of the match performance by Mark Lamont.

    Cordiner Cup finalists ever year since 2013, the Jags have been no strangers to this particular final in recent years, losing out in 2013 and 2014 before winning the trophy last year under Robert Ross.  For the trip to Inver, Daniel Cormack took a full sixteen man squad, with Tony Farquhar and Chippie Mailley dropping out of the team following the 2-2 draw with Contin in midweek.  Martyn Farquhar and Darran Goller remained unavailable due to work and holiday commitments. 

    In front of a good crowd down by Inver Bay, the game kicked off at around 3.06pm and it took just three minutes for the match to kick into life when Lamont found himself through on the Balintore goal, but solid goalkeeping from Danny McCarthy prevented a goal.  McCarthy was called into action just moments later as Liam Rostock tested him from distance.  The second generation stopper was out of luck on nine minutes though, when Ryan Day's long ball into the box caught him off his line. Disoriented, McCarthy tipped the ball over his head and into the path of Lamont who made easy work of the final tap in, prodding the ball high into the net for the opener.

    Balintore battled hard for an equaliser over the next ten minutes and their best chance came from a Jordan Hailes free kick but the midfield man fired just over the bar.  At the other end, the ever threatening Lamont had the ball in the net again with 21 minutes gone after good work from Rostock - but linesman Mike Stainke flagged to disallow the goal for offside. Lamont turned provider shortly after laying the ball off for Jack Hudson as he entered the hunt for a goal, but his powerful shot from distance flew wide of the target.  Balintore's second free kick of the game ultimately sewed the seeds for Mark McAuley's side's undoing.  A good clearance fell to the feet of Thistle captain Daniel Christie who in turn sent Lamont clear for his second of the game, as he ghosted past James Metcalfe before rifling the ball past McCarthy to make it 2-0.

    Just two minutes later, the assistant's flag had the Thistle touchline up in arms again as Lamont appeared to nod the ball over McCarthy and into the net from a knock on, but again the goal was disallowed. Inexplicably, a third goal was disallowed just moments later, this time scored by Jack Hudson.  Between three disallowed goals and an upturn in possession, the half ended much better for Balintore, first with a free kick taken by Stephen McGaw which zipped just over then followed by the save of the match from McCarthy as he denied Lamont with a superb reaction stop to his left.  It seemed inevitable that Balintore would ultimately pull a goal back and that they did just moments before break through former Thistle winger Ayah Rattanaphithak who broke free to slot the ball past Johnny Allan from an angle.

    The second half started with Tain re-asserting themselves as the dominant side first with Lamont heading wide at the near post from a Rostock throw before finally completing his hat-trick with the simplest of goals, poking the ball home from a spill by McCarthy.  Even with forty minutes remaining, it seemed as though the hard work was done as Thistle now sought to simply keep possession. Arron Christie, Ryan Day (later replaced by Adam MacDonald) and Dave Murray rarely looked troubled at the back while Alan Duff played very comfortably in his new midfield role.  

    Chances for Macgruer, Lamont and Rostock went awry as Thistle tried to extend their lead during the second half while substitutes MacDonald, Durrand, MacIver and Mackay were all introduced.  A late flurry of chances for Balintore offered one final reminder that the game wasn't quite over, with substitute striker Alan Stainke leading the charge. On 80 minutes, Will Ross headed just over the bar with a chance from close range while at the other end, Dave MacIver offered up Thistle's last goalscoring effort with a header which also missed the target. Five minutes later, Terence Brady came very close to scoring for Balintore when he slid into the box to reach a cross, but his chance was deflected just wide.  Late on, a Hailes free kick was held as the game came to a close and referee Eric Robertson blew his whistle for time.  Thistle had secured the cup for the second year running.

    Players and committee members convened at the Inver Inn after the game, where a fine selection of sandwiches and soup was on offer to accompany the post match presentations.  Daniel Christie, captain, collected the Cordiner Cup trophy for Thistle, as he toasted both sets of players.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Contin 2 Tain Thistle 2

    A goal in injury time rescued a point for the Jags at Munro Park tonight as top of the table sides Contin and Tain Thistle battled it out in the clubs' first league meeting.

    With Mark Lamont suspended, Gordy Mackay was called into the starting eleven in what was to be the only change to the starting lineup who defeated Alness on Monday night.  Robert Ross, Tony Farquhar, Ian Ross and Glen McArtney were brought into the squad for the bench.

    An early chance for Thistle resulted in Jack Hudson hitting the woodwork with a volley after just seven minutes of play, but it was Liam Rostock who eventually broke the deadlock ten minutes later, whipping a shot across Iain Bartlett and in at the far post to give Thistle a 1-0 lead. Within just a few minutes, Nick Sutherland levelled for the home side with a lashing angled shot.  In a fiercely contested second half, both sides battled for the advantage, but ultimately it was Contin who took the lead through Andrew Gow.  

    Chances for both sides made for a tasty remaining twenty minutes, Contin hitting the crossbar and Tain hitting the upright.  Both sides had claims for a penalty turned down by referee Eric Robertson as it looked as though Contin would ride the victory out in injury time. However, a last ditch attempt from Thistle with every player, including goalkeeper Johnny Allan in the box resulted in Ryan Day trundling the ball beyond a felled Bartlett into the net to snatch a draw from the jaws of defeat.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Hudson claims Club award for May

    Jack Hudson has been named the Club Player of the Month for May following a vote cast by members of the club, including committee and playing staff. 

    Pictured (right) with manager Daniel Cormack, he collected the award prior to kick off at Munro Park for the top of the table clash with Contin.Throughout May, Jack netted eight goals in as many games from the centre of midfield.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
    Content Management Powered by CuteNews