• Latest News & Updates

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Tain Thistle 18 Eastern Rose 0

    With the Tain Gala well and truly underway, the Jags and the Bombers provided the midweek football entertainment following the Primary School Soccer Sevens tournament at the Links which saw Tain Juniors emerge victorious.  The Jags capped things off nicely for Tain's football clubs with an entirely one sided win over their Inver visitors.<div><div>Missing for the game were birthday boy Arron Christie and his brother Daniel, along with Chippie Mailley and Dave Murray.  The team lined up with an unorthodox 3-3-4 formation and after taking a good quarter hour to get going, they opened fire relentlessly on the Eastern Rose back line.  </div><div><br /></div><div>David MacIver got things going with a cross come shot which curled into the net off the far post.  Mark Lamont struck his first of the night from the penalty spot after a handball on the line prevented Thistle's second and Liam Rostock opened his account a minute later.  MacIver and Lamont added another to their tallies in the next three minutes and Rostock netted his second on 32 minutes.  Lamont completed the hat-trick on 34 mins and Jack Hudson scored three minutes later.  Three quick fire goals made it 11-0 at half time, with Lamont hitting his fourth and fifth and Hudson netting his second.</div></div><div><br /></div><div>Lamont started the second half with a sixth goal and Thistle's 12th and Darran Goller finally got in on the action on 51 minutes. Substitutes were introduced at this point and shortly after Rostock completed his own hat-trick before Goller scored again.  Substitute John Maclellan scored Thistle's 16th marking his return to the side with a goal and Robbie Ross, scoring his first goal in two years, made it 17-0 getting on the end of a Maclellan cross.  Lamont scored the last goal with 8 minutes to go.</div><div><br /></div><div>Two records were broken tonight as Thistle recorded their biggest ever win, thrashing last year's record of 15-1 (also against Eastern Rose).  Player wise, John Allan secured his 19th clean sheet in Jags colours, surpassing the previous record held by Steven Martin.</div>

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Jags out of Coronation Cup

    Any chance Tain Thistle had of making it three cup finals out of three was put to bed yesterday as they fell to a 1-0 defeat at Munro Park to closest rivals Contin.<div>The Jags had avoided defeat in all three of their meetings with Contin, winning both home cup ties, but failing to overcome their opponents on away ground.  Missing for the fourth encounter between the teams were Dave Macgruer, Chippie Mailley, Martyn Farquhar and Ryan Day.<br /><div><br /></div><div>Contin enjoyed the better of the chances in the first half, while Mark Lamont offered the only significant chance at the other end with a saved effort. An ankle knock for Lamont moments from half time gave Tain cause for concern though but the striker stayed on the pitch. Neither team could break the deadlock by the end of a close first half.</div><div><br /></div><div>The goal eventually came ten minutes into the second half when Ryan Dow expertly struck beyond Johnny Allan to give his side the lead.  Dow could very well have doubled the lead ten minutes later but hesitance during a call for offside hindered his attempt as the ball was cleared to safety. </div></div><div><br /></div><div>Similarly to the last clash at Munro Park, Contin sat in for the majority of the second half, defending deep against a Tain side who were desperate for an equaliser.  Thistle improved when substitute Tony Farquhar was introduced, the experienced striker heading wide with the visitors' best chance.  However, unlike the league meeting two weeks ago, it was too little too late.  Despite a flurry of late corners, time eventually ran out on Daniel Cormack's men as they succumbed to their first defeat of the season.  </div><div><br /></div><div>In the other cup tie, Alness United made easy work of Fortrose Union with a 7-1 win.  The final takes place between Contin and Alness next weekend in Dingwall.</div>

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Tain Thistle 8 Social Club 1

    The Jags knocked eight past Social Club tonight to move into the top spot in the Ross-shire Welfare, joint on points with Contin.  With a near full squad available for the game, there was also a surprise return for Thistle favourite Martyn Farquhar who took a place on the bench.  Six of the goals arrived in the first half, from six different players, as Darran Goller, Liam Rostock, Alan Duff, Jack Hudson, Dave Macgruer and Mark Lamont all added to their season tallies in the space of a thirty minute scoring spell.  In the second half, Lamont added two further goals late on to secure his hat-trick and go top in the league's Top Scorers chart, while Social Club pulled a goal back via Fraser Sinclair.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Coronation Cup semi draw

    The Jags will travel to Contin in the semi final of the Coronation Cup after the Munro Park men snatched a last minute victory at Seaboard Park against Balintore yesterday.  <div>Tain Thistle and Contin have already met three times this season and every encounter has been very close.  The only decisive fixture after 90 minutes was in the Merrythought Cup semi final when Tain narrowly beat their visitors 2-1 at the Links.  In the first round of the Cordiner Cup, Thistle clawed back a 3-3 draw in normal time before winning 5-3 in extra time and in their only league meeting, Tain needed a goal five minutes into injury time to rescue a point.</div><div><br /></div><div>The semi final match takes place next Saturday, June 18th with a 3pm kick off in Contin.</div>

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Balintore 0 Tain Thistle 5

    <div>The Jags shook off a bad start at Seaboard Park tonight to comfortably beat Balintore in the end and secure a further three points in the league, as they took their unbeaten run this season to twelve games. Chippie Mailley and Alan Duff were posted absent for the trip to Balintore as the teams met for the second time in five days.</div><div><br /></div>An early penalty shout for Balintore gave Tain cause for concern as Balintore enjoyed the best of the game for the first twenty minutes.  The tide turned on 21 minutes though when Mark Lamont turned the ball into the net from an Arron Christie corner.  Christie himself got on the scoresheet just two minutes later to put Thistle into the driving seat with a sublime left foot effort which sailed over the top of Danny McCarthy into the net.  The Seaboard side's spirit was fully broken on the half hour mark when Cammy Mackintosh lashed the ball into the net from outside the eighteen yard box.  A first half injury to Dave Murray saw the defender withdraw from the game after 33 minutes to be replaced by former Balintore man Adam MacDonald.  Chances were few and far between with Ryan Day narrowly missing with a ball across the face of goal as the half dwindled away.<div><br /></div><div>The second period started slowly and Thistle's fourth didn't arrive until the 79th minute when Liam Rostock's glancing header beat McCarthy, Tain's all-time marksman getting on the end of an excellent ball in to the box from Daniel Christie.  A fifth followed five minutes later when Jack Hudson burst into the six yard box to beat McCarthy with ease.</div><div><br /></div><div>The win keeps Thistle hot on the heels of Contin, three points behind with a game in hand - a game which will be played and evened up with a home match against Invergordon Social Club next Wednesday. This Saturday, the Jags enjoy a welcome weekend off - their first week with only one game since the season has began - thanks to a bye in the first round of the Coronation Cup.</div>

  • Powered by CuteNews