• Latest News & Updates

  • Thistle handed SFA discipline warning

    Tain Thistle have today been notified of SFA concerns over their discipline for the 2008/09, since joining the North Caledonian league.

    At a meeting on January 27th, the SFA's Disciplinary Committee considered the Disciplinary Analysis for the period August to December 2008 for all North Caledonian league clubs, based on first team league and cup matches.

    The committee decided that a warning be issued to the Tain Thistle in regard to their disciplinary record. This warning is issued on the basis that the club’s “average points incurred per match” figure is appreciably above the average for your League.

    If an improvement is not evident when the committee comes to review the full season’s analysis, then a sanction could be imposed.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Tain Thistle 2-4 Invergordon

    The much anticipated encounter between Tain Thistle and Invergordon ended in a 4-2 win for the visitors, following two penalties, a dismissal and a series of gristly moments.

    Thistle manager Robbie Ross made a few changes to the side which lost 3-1 to Bonar Bridge a fortnight ago, as Gordie Oman returned to the side to replace Paul Austin, and the injured Daniel Christie was replaced by Darran Goller. Also returning was Paul Cowie, who slotted in at right back for the benched Dickie Durrand.

    A below-par Arron Christie enjoyed his best spell of form in the opening minutes, only narrowly hitting the top of the net with a looping effort which had the Invergordon keeper flummoxed. It was Gordie Oman who was first to capitalize on early Tain pressure however as he found himself barged to the ground for a penalty award. A unique combination of efforts between Christie and Oman, saw the former spot the ball, step back, then step aside as Oman trundled the ball into the bottom left corner beyond Stevie Campbell to make it 1-0 for Tain.

    Thistle maintained their lead for a good quarter hour until Invergordon found themselves clean through on Gordon Duff's goal. Duff did well to get a hand to the visitors' initial effort but the advancing Stevie Murray made sure of a goal with a deflected charge which saw the ball whizz into the corner of the net, levelling the scores at 1-1.

    Before long, Thistle found themselves chasing a game they had controlled earlier, as Alan Stone found the net with ease, after Scott Innes failed to clear as the final man.

    Tain's earlier motivation and drive turned to misjudgement and over-zealousness, as within five minutes of each other, Paul Cowie and Gordie Oman were shown yellow cards for dissent and a needless tackle.

    The game took an ugly turn on forty minutes, when Thistle captain Scottie Innes was shown the red card for a handball in the 6 yard box. An aerial scuffle had seen Innes tumble the ground, only for an Invergordon effort to career off the big man's hand. Referee Graham Elder was ruthless in his punishment, issuing the red for "deliberate hand ball" and awarding Invergordon a penalty kick. Former Thistle target Chris Cooper made no mistake from the spot, and now at 3-1, Thistle faced a stern second half challenge with only ten men.

    The teams emerged for the second half in a makeshift 4-3-2 formation, with man of the match Chris Mailley and Gordie Oman still commanding the midfield. Mailley enjoyed a couple of opportunities in a more attacking role; the best of his efforts powered into the chest of a confident Campbell.

    Indeed, Thistle had the better of a messy second half and when they finally clawed a goal back in the latter stages, it was again the running Gordie Oman who took the best of a 50/50 challenge with Steve Campbell, seeing his contribution to the clattering stramash deflect past the Invergordon keeper for Tain's second of the afternoon.

    At 3-2, the game should have been poised for a nervy final ten minutes, but a needless defensive error saw Chris Cooper ease the ball past Gordon Duff to make the score academic, and wrap up three satisfying points for Invergordon.

    The date of Thistle's final league fixture against Alness Utd is still to be arranged, but likely dates include February 14th and March 7th, the latter forcing a change to the date of the forthcoming Thistle vs St Duthus XI exhibition match.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Tain Thistle vs Tain St Duthus XI to play for Christy Grant Trophy

    The much anticipated match between North Caledonian new boys Tain Thistle and a former second XI, Tain St Duthus old boys select will now take place on Saturday, March 7th, with a 2pm kick off. The teams will contest the Christy Grant Trophy.

    Jim Jardine, who awarded the Graham Jardine quaich to Balintore earlier this season will manage the St Duthus XI, which already boasts "a wealth of players".

    In the event that scores are level at full time, a penalty shoot out will take place to seperate the sides.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Alness vs Tain postponed

    Today's game between Alness United and Tain Thistle has been postponed due to a frozen pitch.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Fixture changes

    Originally scheduled for February 14th, Tain Thistle's final game of the season will now take place on January 31st, against Invergordon, at Grant Park, with a 1.30pm kick off.

    Food, drinks, match programme and scarves will be on sale as usual.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Bonar Bridge 3-1 Tain Thistle

    A lackluster Tain Thistle side fell to an organised Bonar Bridge at Migdale Playing Fields this afternoon, thanks to an early Billy Ferries goal and a brace from John Dorrian. A late goal from captain Scottie Innes reduced the deficit but brought an end to the afternoon's scoring to record a comfortable 3-1 for the home side.

    Player-manager Robbie Ross listed himself as part of a front three which also featured the forward pair of Daniel Christie and Scott Morrison, with Gordon Duff returning to the side as the Tain side's new goal keeper.

    Thistle's Arron Christie could have opened in the opening minute with an excellent chance, but the effort was dealt with by Bonar keeper Steve Martin, who turned the effort wide. Only minutes later however, Bonar Bridge took the lead through Billy Ferries, whose looping shot could only deflect past the outreached hand of Duff as the ball bundled over the line.

    With the low sun blinding the Thistle attack, Bonar maintained pressure for the remainder of the first half, almost resting on the 1-0 lead, before John Dorrian made it 2-0 with a simple finish.

    The half time whistle heralded a change, as Andy Murray replaced Martyn Farquhar in the Thistle defence noted by manager Robbie Ross as a disciplinary decision.

    Playing downhill, Thistle offered little of any kind of improvement as Bonar continued to find easy routes towards goal through the Tain back line. Gordon Duff earned his stripes in the second half however, pulling off two spectacular saves from Sean Henstridge and Billy Ferries, before eventually succumbing to a three pronged attack which saw John Dorrian bag his second to make it 3-0.

    With the foot now off the pedal, Bonar allowed Thistle a slight reprieve when Bruce Mackay needlessly lashed out at the grounded Andy Murray following a scuffle, and saw red for his actions.

    Russell Lawrie and Paul Austin were introduced late-on as a tumble to Chris Mailley and a hamstring concern for Daniel Christie brought their afternoons to an end. The changes brought about Thistle's best chance of the second half as Lawrie found himself clean through on Stevie Martin, only to place his shot wide of the far post.

    Dickie Durrand continued the late pressure on Martin's goal with an effort the Bonar keeper had to tip round the post, but it was captain marvel Scottie Innes who finally pulled a goal back for the visitors. In what seemed all-too-easy, the imposing Innes dribbled through an unaware Bonar defence to walk the ball into the net for an easy finish, to add a touch of respectability to the scoreline.

    Tain Thistle's penultimate match of the season is also their final away game, at Alness's Dalmore Park, next week with a 1.30pm kick off.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Golspie Sutherland 8-2 Tain Thistle

    In a very windy and miserable Golspie, Tain Thistle were soundly trounced by the much fitter and experienced league leaders Golspie Sutherland.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Raffle winners announced

    The winners of the Xmas raffle have been announced, with prizes of a Nintendo DS, Glenmorangie Whisky, £20 voucher and much more now drawn.

    Winner of a bottle of Glenmorangie Whisky:
    eTicket Number D08098 (Mr A Forsyth, Tain)

    Winner of the Nintendo DS:
    eTicket Number D08023 (Mr Andrew McCulloch, Dumbarton)

    Winner of the framed signed photograph of a player:
    eTicker Number D08015 (Mrs Karen Waddell, Tain)

    Winner of the autographed Sun cartoon:
    eTicket Number D08003 (Mr Bob Cormack, Tain)

    Winner of the £20 voucher:
    eTicket Number D08031 (Ms June Whittet, Culbokie)

    Congratulations to the lucky winners!

    Those successful can collect their prizes from Home & Music, Tain.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
  • Happy New Year from Tain Thistle FC

    Everyone at TainThistle.co.uk, the club and committee wish you a Happy New Year. All the best in 2009.

  • Latest News | Tain Thistle AFC
    Content Management Powered by CuteNews